Tuesday, December 9, 2014

When Artists Get Stuck In a Rut

If you're an artist of any kind I'm sure you have gotten a little bored with art from time to time. Maybe you are sick of drawing the same thing all the time. Maybe you've pigeonholed yourself into a particular style, or maybe you feel like you're drawing skills have sort of plateaued. If you're anything like me, those feelings send you into a panic. Especially when drawing is your career and you can't really afford to get burned out.

This is what has been happening to me lately. I typically draw realistic portraiture. All that precision and detail can kind of get my brain in a knot. I noticed that I was losing interest in drawing a bit. I was bored! I love drawing faces, but I decided to put a spin on it and let loose a bit. Doing these latest drawings of mine feels like a brain dump. Like my brain vomited on my paper. I don't think about what I'm drawing, I just draw whatever comes into my head. No reference photos, no eye strains from trying to see subtle details of the face. Just pure creativity.






It's okay if you get bored with your art. I actually think it's a good thing. Some people give up all together when they get “stuck”. My advice is to try a new medium or a new subject. Branch out a little bit from what you're used to doing! You might just surprise yourself! Sometimes it's a good thing to take a break from it and come back with a fresh mind when you're ready. Either way, don't give up! Keep truckin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment