Wednesday, December 10, 2014

How To Write an Art Blog That Your Followers Will Look Forward To Reading

Today I stumbled upon a lot of information as I was reading about blogging and vlogging. It became apparent to me that I am doing it completely wrong!

I am a freelance artist, I primarily do portraiture. I thought I'd start and art blog and vlog to help get my name out there into the ether and support what I love to do -- art!
I wrote down a huge list of topics to write about; How to draw hair, how to draw realistic skin, how to get started as an artist, etc. That's all fine and good, but what hit me was I am writing for an audience that isn't interested in buying art, or seeing what I'm up to. I was writing to up and coming artists that need help of some sort. This is not the type of internet presence I want to have. I would have gone to college for teaching if I wanted to be a teacher!

I'm glad I discovered this early on in my art blogging journey. I want my target audience to be people who enjoy my art, my opinions and my all-around weirdness. I'm still fairly new to the world of art and the things I write about will be a view behind the scenes of the life of an artist.

If I'm up at 4am I'm either really into a drawing, or drunk. 


There is a market for everything out there. I don't care if you collect crab gills, or sell bugs, or maybe you want to write about hamsters. There are other people out there who are interested in what you have to say. You just have to be sure that your blog/vlog is designed for them. If you are trying to sell something, or run a business off your blog it's mission critical that you know exactly who you are writing to. Pay attention to the types of people that are following you. Be sure to take the time to respond to things they say on your various social media site. Build a relationship with theses people and find out what it is they come to hear about from you. These are the people who will be buying your products.

My plan is to envision a certain type of person that I'd like in my audience. I plan to write for this imaginary person that personifies the audience I want. Sure, some people might not care much for what I have to talk about and what I'm doing on a daily basis, but I'm hoping to use my videos and blogs to connect with other artists as well as potential clients.

See? I'm still screwing up as I type. Maybe I should have been a teacher instead! Here I am writing about the business side of art. Not the actual art, or glimpse into my freaking crazy life!

I feel stupid that I haven't had this realization sooner. I was focusing so hard on content I forgot to think about what type of audience I want, and to write for them! For all you bloggers/vloggers, Are you putting things out there that are actually beneficial for your goals? Do you just throw it all out there and see who hits subscribe, or are you planning for who you want to talk to?

Okay, I'm done playing Kurstin the teacher. I'm gonna go paint and give my ideas an overhaul and work out some new marketing goals!


No comments:

Post a Comment